Friday 29 January 2010

Change of Address

Today I found the page from the notepad that Remy had first written his name and number on when I met him living on the street. It is a symbol of the friendship that began that day, that came about as a result of seeing something in each other that was not different, but the same. A shared belief that there is always a part of oneself that is perfect and unchanging, that goes about without ideas or limitations and can help where there is a need, can love where there is someone needing loving, can be free and healthy regardless of age or denomination.

Remy is a bright deep soul who has been moved from the mental hospital near Victoria and been relocated to Vancouver, Canada. When we last met this was not what he wanted to happen, but I think he thrives on change and new people, on finding a way beyond his immediate schizophrenia to establish that part of himself which is 100% capable. It resolves my part in the story, knowing that his independent spirit will carry him and ensure he survives, and that really all I ever was, was a mirror for his heart to see he did not to be afraid of himself. The piece of paper is symbolic and I am just like the piece of paper, a symbol of the fact he became able to trust again.

I feel no need to hear how he is, but if I do, that is also easy to meet. Mental health, physical well-being, supportive friends...these are all things I can take for granted. But Remy showed me that these are great treasures, that I am incredibly fortunate and for that, I salute him...Mr Remy John Roy.

No comments:

Post a Comment